After chemicals were mixed in a UK hotel spa, 24 people were rushed to hospital. The incident occurred when two chemicals were accidentally mixed together resulting in the creation of chlorine gas. People at the hotel required medical treatment for gas inhalation. Firefighters from the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire Departments were called to the Solent Hotel & Spa in Whiteley, Fareham at around 8:44 p.m. on August 23, the BBC reported.
24 people rushed to hospital after being exposed to toxic gas
The emergency team was called after two chemicals accidentally combined to form chlorine gas. A number of guests at the Hampshire spa inhaled the dangerous fumes. 24 people were transported to hospital by paramedics. Firefighters from Hightown, Fareham, Cosham, Portchester, St Mary’s and Romsey worked alongside paramedics, and the South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) visited the premises.
The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service (HIWFRS) has started receiving immediate emergency care. They set up an area to take care of the wounded and asked the ambulance service to come to the scene. A ventilator was used to evacuate the fumes and firefighters brought the ship containing the chemicals to fresh air.
Emergency crews used gas detectors to check if the scene was safe. Station manager Dave Graham informed that this was a large-scale incident with several people requiring medical treatment for gas inhalation. Additionally, Graham added that the incident was turned over to hotel management.
The rescue teams brought the incident under control and the stop message was received at 1:27 a.m. Graham also mentioned that they were working with colleagues from the South Central Ambulance Service to make sure everyone got the help they needed. Solent Hotel & Spa on its Facebook page confirmed the incident on August 24. They further added that guests and team members are their first priority. The hotel informed that they had temporarily evacuated the premises. However, they then opened the hotel for customers. The spa and fitness facilities were opened and the situation returned to normal.